i want every future con to make fun of #dashcon by renting a bouncy castle
Hey online friends, you may be tired about me talking about DashCon, but wait! There’s more!
So let’s go over the part that everyone knows super quick: I would definitely recommend that the con-goers to DashCon take collective legal action, not only for the $17,000 scam, but…
DashCon is a first-year fandom convention for Tumblr users. It is happening this weekend and turning into possibly the largest convention kerfuffle anyone has ever seen.
- Due to the DashCon staff done diddly goofin’ by not putting a payment schedule in their hotel reservation contract, they were asked to pay $20,000 by 10 PM last night or the convention would be kicked out of the hotel. They asked attendees and Tumblr users to donate $17,000 via PayPal and cash to keep the con going - and they supposedly raised all of the money. Con attendees then piled into the ballroom to do Mockingjay salutes and wail Freddie Mercury songs to celebrate them falling for what is suspected to be a scam (as people have contacted the hotel to ask about this “$17,000 fee” and the hotel reportedly has no idea what they’re talking about).
- You can attend wonderfully informative panels like this at DashCon:
- DashCon claimed there would be 3,000-7,000 attendees. There are 1,000 at most and all of them are white kids in flower crowns who are rioting for the anti-sexualization of women in media while simultaneously running panels about “homoerotic subtext in fandoms and finding the gay ships for YOUR fandoms!!!”
- The con didn’t have the money to cover WTNV’s transportation and performance fees. When WTNV asked them to pay the remainder of their performance fee prior to the panel beginning, DashCon was unable to do so, and WTNV walked out as they are positively free to do because what the fuck you don’t invite keystone guests if you aren’t able to pay their fees upfront (and showing them your PayPal balance on a smartphone absolutely does not count).
- It’s being speculated that Steam Powered Giraffe was not even booked properly in the first place.
- A full weekend badge was $65 dollars for a first-year fandom con jesus christ that’s almost the price of most full-fledged comic cons.
The list continues but so far it’s only the con’s second day and it is quite literally the most dramatic, hysterically cringe-worthy convention debacle I have ever seen unfold.
Adding some updates as of 7/12 at 7:35 PM EST:
- The game room consists of some tables, one TV, and one gaming console. No, really, that’s it.
- DashCon proves they have possibly the worst PR team ever when addressing the WTNV cancellation. Instead of clearly explaining the situation, they say they “don’t want to get into it,” and then offer compensation for those who bought advanced seating tickets for the Night Vale show. What’s the compensation? An extra hour playing in the ball pit (which is really just a slowly-deflating children’s pool with some balls in it). Oh, and if there’s room, you may get one of the first-come-first-serve spots at the Time Crash concert happening tonight. Huzzah!
- Most panels are completely disorganized. The “Name That Anime” panel was even handing out hotel mints as prizes for correctly answering questions like “what’s the anime where they fight with clothes!!!”
- This still needs verification, but supposedly there are minors being let into the 18+ panels (like “BDSM 101”), which DashCon could easily get sued for allowing. Not that they have the money for it.
- It’s been pointed out that as a Marriott hotel, the Renaissance would have required them to submit their full reservation payment 5 days in advance of the event. Therefore it’s very, very likely that the “$17,000 fundraising” was a huge scam. Because DashCon would’ve had to pay that money 5 days before this weekend or the event wouldn’t even be happening in the first place.
- Furthermore, someone attempted to debunk the letter that DashCon posted to prove that the hotel asked for money. Not all their points are valid (i.e. “RE:” is commonly used for “Regarding”, not just in response to previous communication, and idk but this dude doesn’t strike me as an expert on internal Marriott stationary), but frankly the letter looks sketchy if only because
17000%99% of it is whited out. Is it real? Is it fake? We just don’t know.
- There has been no confirmation that the money donated in cash and via PayPal last night ever made it to the hotel (if that was indeed where it was intended to go).
- People are demanding full or at least partial refunds. Needs verification, but purportedly DashCon has a list at the con where you can sign your name and the amount you donated to be refunded later. Which sounds like a totally effective and not at all easily-abused system.
- Attendees are either in denial saying this is the best con ever or they’re crying and having panic attacks. Welcome to Tumblr.
And as a bonus: DashCon originally ran an IndieGoGo campaign last year to raise $5,000 to start their convention. They raised $4,000. The campaign ended in April 2013 and rewards have still not been sent out (which consisted of tea bags, a couple business cards with your Tumblr URL on them, and if you donated $500+, some knick-knacks from Etsy).
midgardian etiquette 101: when going to their homes, hang your coat first or in some cases, your mjolnir.
naw maybe it’s actually asgardian custom to check your weapons at the door
It was medieval custom to check your weapons at the door of the meadhall before greeting the king of the place you were going to. It was courteous and showed respect. You can see it in Beowulf.
what i don’t understand is how that hook can hold the mjolnir.
the hook is worthy
the hook is worthy
Peter Pan would disagree.
I’ve not read the comics but I always figured Mjolnir wasn’t heavy so much as stubborn, and if it decided it didn’t wanna move it just wouldn’t. It sits on Loki, rather than crushing him in Thor 1, and in Avengers it rests on the floor of the ship, and trying to pick it up Hulk starts breaking the floor with his weight, but Mjolnir doesn’t seem to weight anything at all (If it was as heavy as Hulk implied, it would drag the whole ship to the ground right?). Mjolnir isn’t heavy, cos its not going down, instead it is a fixed point and everything else just moves around it. Hence, the hook doesn’t hold it, it merely remains in place.
so what you’re trying to say is that Mjolnir is like a chicken head
instead it is a fixed point and everything else just moves around it.
OK SO WHAT YOU ARE SAYING
IS THAT WHEN THIS HAMMER WAS FORGED IN THE HEART OF A STAR IT BECAME A FIXED QUANTUM POINT
AND THE UNIVERSE MOVES AROUND IT—AND THOR IS THE ONLY ONE WITH THE PROPER RESONANCE TO INTERACT WITH IT ON A QUANTUM LEVEL
AND SO HE IS THE ONLY ONE WITH THE LEVERAGE REQUIRED TO SHIFT THE REST OF THE UNIVERSE AROUND THE FIXED POINT THAT IS MJOLNIR
THIS MAKES SO MUCH SENSE
DUDE YOU GUYS SCIENCED THORS HAMMER THAT IS AWESOME
i just… can’t have this not on my blog.
however rember there are others that can wield the hammer like one steve rodgers.
Best avatar cosplays ever!
better than the movie
That’s because cosplayers have standards and integrity.
Oh hey it’s my face!
Make sure your next meal is out of this world. This plate set features eight plates, each resembling a planet in our solar system. Ten inches in diameter and dishwasher safe. Sold on ThinkGeek.
this is a NEED
omg i want these i need these…*whimpers*
there are only eight plates there. where the hell is pluto.
I saw this and just had to reblog!:D
fucker went from “i heard u liek me” to “how do ya like me now bitch!”
The Label It Yourself (#LIY) campaign is a decentralized, autonomous grassroots campaign born out of our broken food system. We have been asking our government to label food products so we can make educated decisions about what we eat. The government has ignored our requests and so we are taking matters into our own hands.
Get your labels at www.labelityourself.org or create our own!
Hey, so the grocery stores who are hit by this are going to have to go through a lot of shit over those stickers. They will have to either remove them or, if they cannot, probably reclaim every product stickered. It won’t be the companies that make the products who deal with it directly, it will be the minimum wage employees at the store fronts—and the way distribution works, those stores are miles down the chain from producers. I get this campaign and the sentiment behind it, but just like trashing the office of a corporation will only force the ill-paid janitor to have a bad day, I don’t think this will do anything except make trouble for people who have nothing to do with decision making.
my husband works in a grocery store
don’t do this shit you end up hurting the little people, not the big people
Dat bolded text. But seriously, read it, because shit like this pisses me off too. It’s NEVER the corporations that have to deal with things like this. It’s always a poorly paid underling who has to deal with your passive aggressive antics. Not only that, but some of them will probably be punished because your shenanigans happen during their shift. Please think before you ruin an innocent person’s day.
Fuckers do this all the time to us and I have to spend time out of my day to remove each one and 1506 the items that are ruined. This comes out of our store’s budget and can eventually make us go under budget which has all of our hours cut. Fuck every single one of you for this stupid fucking stunt. You’re hurting people like me who are trying to get enough money to go back to college.
THE WORST PART ABOUT THIS IS THAT GMO’S ARE FUCKING AWESOME AND HAVE HELPED SAVE TENS OF MILLIONS OF LIVES AT LEAST AROUND THE WORLD
BY DEFACING THEM YOU’RE RUINING THE REPUTATION OF A LIFE-SAVING TECHNOLOGY THAT IS PREVENTING STARVATION IN THIRD-WORLD COUNTRIES THAT NORMALLY YOU DOUCHEBAGS TRY TO PROTECT
THE SAME PEOPLE WHO PULL THIS SHIT ARE THE ONES WHO CRY ABOUT PRIVILEGE AND CHARITY AND THEY ARE LITERALLY ALMOST CAUSING THE DEATHS OF MILLIONS OF PEOPLE EVERY TIME THEY THREATEN A MAJOR GMO OR GE CROP BECAUSE THEY ARE CONVINCING THIRD-WORLD LEADERS TO NOT OBTAIN THEM
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST TUMBLR ARE YOU TRYING TO END LIVES HERE
SERIOUSLY YOU MOTHER FUCKERS NEED TO LEARN SOMETHING ABOUT GENETICALLY MODIFIED FOOD BEFORE YOU START THIS SHIT.
THERE’S OVER 40 YEARS OF RESEARCH AND EXPERIENCE INTO THIS THAT PROVES THAT THERE’S NOT A DAMN THING WRONG WITH IT SO SHUT YOUR FUCKING MOUTHS AND STOP TRYING TO END AN INDUSTRY THAT IS ACTIVELY WORKING TO CURE WORLD HUNGER
All of the above stuff. Don’t be dicks people.
All of the bold.
Monsanto may be evil, but GMO foods are safe, and have been an enormous boon to many parts of the world. Not all GMO foods are developed by Monsanto or anything like them. As mentioned above, many are developed by humanitarian scientists in an effort to combat world hunger.
The problem is not and never has been genetically modified crops. The problem is greedy fucks and corporations run amok.
People seriously need to understand the difference between “We made this tomato more resistant to frost by splicing in a salmon gene” (science is awesome!) and “We made this plant resistant to toxic chemicals so we can spray them all over everything ever” (corporate greed is awful!). Labeling both of those things as GMOs is doing everyone a serious disservice. We need a new name for what Monsanto does. Toxic gengineering perhaps?
(And yes, the bolded stuff is also really important, I’m glad it’s been solidly covered. I’m a biologist, so gengineering is much more my bailiwick.)
well look at that, kids who have obviously never had to work a minimum-wage job are trying to be ~aktuhvists~
I can only hope that in a few decades we can look back at people blindly fearmongering and slamming the very concept of genetically modified foods that are in many cases saving lives by making all sorts of bizarre claims about how fish tomatoes are going to alter your DNA and give you cancer like we presently look back at all the people in the 60’s who thought that radiation made you into a mutated glowing superhuman or the people in the 70’s who thought college students were going to clone Hitler if they were allowed to research genetics or the people is the 90’s who said we shouldn’t be trying to reconstruct extinct species DNA because “nature chose to make them extinct for a reason”.
the people is the 90’s who said we shouldn’t be trying to reconstruct extinct species DNA because “nature chose to make them extinct for a reason”.
wait, was that an actual thing and not just Jurassic Park?
Yes, that was actual thing. I remember rolling my eyes to all of it. It’s just today, due to the internet, we’re much more aware of the fear-mongering freaks out there.
Hell even Monsanto has been trying to do a helluva lot better. The active ingredient in Roundup has been shown to hurt very little that isn’t an invasive weed that farmers don’t want in their fields.
There are third world countries that have banned GMOs because of the fearmongering from the West (mostly Europe). More people are gonna starve because of this. If you want to be progressive, don’t kill brown people. That’s bad. Ok?
everything that needs to be said. about retail workers and about the truth behind gmo’s
Because mashing things together is fun. I decided to cross Sailor Moon, and Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure. Specifically I wanted to give the girls Stands, that reflected each of the girl’s Sailor form.
I call this “Moondust Crusaders”.
I’m Starting with Makoto (as she is my favorite), depending on response I may do others.